Hi Everyone,
As I have promised you before, I will catch up with you with a few interesting post I get from my recent holiday in my husband hometown. The first part will be this post. Well, this is the main reason of the long holiday. The wedding of my husband’s younger sister in traditional ceremony of their own ethnic called ‘Dusun’ which means orchard in Malay Languange, though it has nothing to do with orchard or whatsoever. It might just a coincidence and perhaps it has some other meaning in Dusun Language. I am not very sure about that.
For your kind information, there are hundreds of different ethnic in Sabah. One of it is called Dusun or in some places called Kadazan. And even the ethnic of Dusun has a slightly different culture based on a different district all around Sabah. And the one I am going to share is the traditional wedding of Dusun ethnic of Tambunan District. Hhhmm..I hope I explained it well. It’s quite complicated even for me. And just for your personal info, I am not a Dusun but I came from another ethnic called ‘Sungai’ which means river in Malay language. Isn’t that interesting??? Orchard meets River??? Hmmm.
Ok, I will explain it phase by phase as best as I could. This is how it goes.
Phase 1: Preparation
This includes the preparation of ‘tapai’, a traditional alcoholic drinks of most dusun ethnic. And I tell you, it’s a must in every celebration they have. Some even quotes to me that ‘tapai’ is much more important than food when it comes to any celebration. But I guess, it depend on individuality. Other than that, they will work together to build a camp and decorate it, chase,catch and slay a cow for meals during the feast, Cooking etc. All sincerely done together by the whole villagers.
 |
| 'Tapai' in 'Tajau'. |
 |
| 'Tapai' in plastic bottles and A bamboo big 'suki'. |
 |
| Cooking |
 |
| Some more cooking |
 |
| Vegetables Cutting |
 |
| Cow Beef Cutting |
 |
| Wedding Backdrop Decorating |
 |
| The Entrance Decorating |
Phase 2: The Wedding Day / The Traditional Ceremony
The bride will be placed on a nearby house and it will be the groom’s close family or relatives responsibility to fetch her and bring her to the celebration house. It sound simple but actually, the groom’s family has to drink lots of ‘tapai’ before and during the ceremony. Well..some of the groom’s families cannot even make it to the celebration. So, it’s good to send a ‘smart’ drinker relatives to get the bride. The bride and her bridesmaid is also has to drink some of the ‘tapai’ as they reached the celebration house. And before the bride step in to the door, her ‘sirung’ (some kind of traditional hat), has to be taken off by an elderly woman with some ancient words whispered to the bride. I was told that, the ‘sirung’ shouldn’t be taken off once the bride already wear it till the elderly woman took it off. It will be a bad luck. And after that, the bride and groom will have a sharing meal ceremony or in Dusun Language called ‘miilang’. That is the end of the traditional Ceremony.
 |
| The Arrival Of The Groom's Family |
 |
| The Groom's Family |
 |
| Traditional Instrument Called 'Gong'. |
 |
| The Bride Starts The Journey |
 |
| Ohh yea...It was raining and muddy. Lucky them. :) |
 |
| Drink the 'tapai' before entering the house |
 |
| Finally, the Bride meets the Groom |
 |
| 'Sirung' take off Ceremony. What do you think the bride is thinking? Or perhaps you'd like to ask what was I thinking when I was doing the same ceremony on my own wedding. |
 |
| 'Miilang' Ceremony |
 |
| 'Miilang' Ceremony in front of the villagers |
 |
| Preparing for lunch with the guests |
 |
| A pray before eat. :) |
 |
| The Close Up picture of the Bride and Groom, Alice & Elford in their Traditional Costume. |
Phase 3: Where old ways meet modern days
The bride and groom change their traditional costume and prepare for the party. But still they have to taste the traditional alcoholic drinks. The famous ‘tapai.
 |
| Changed to Evening Gown..The Bride with her younger sister. Her only sister. |
 |
| Cutting the Wedding Cake |
 |
| Tasting the 'Tapai'. |
 |
| Is it sweet? Or Sour? Well..both I guess. |
Phase 4: And The Party Began
What can I say??? It's all about dancing, eating and drinking all night long!
 |
| The Bride & Groom in slow dance. |
 |
| Served a 'tapai' drink in small bamboo 'suki'. Or we like to call this...'fishing'. |
 |
| The 'Tapai' serving men or...should I say the 'fishing men'?? |
 |
| Dance!!! |
 |
| The villagers/guests drinking 'tapai'. |
 |
| Another Dance!!! |
 |
| Ohh yeah...let's shake it. |
 |
| Merry Go Round |
Finally...the picture of the unofficial Camera Woman and Video Man. Or should I say...I save the best for last?? Hehehe.
 |
| My Hubby and Me. :) |
|
So, I hope you enjoy the sharing as much as I am. I would like to state here that, the ceremony above is a much more simpler than what they had in the old days. And all the interpretation I write about the ceremony is all based on my own interpretation and observation as a different ethnic woman ‘adopted’ to the Dusun community in this village.
And just for your reference, I have uploaded a post about Alice & Elford's church wedding taken last June on my previous blog. Kindly check this site if you are interested:
That’s all for now guys. I will see you soon in my next post.
~Until Tomorrow~
the bride is beautiful..^_^
ReplyDeletelots of drinking..and the ceremony is so traditional..passing by Christine :)
ReplyDeleteThe bride is indeed beautiful cLai. It's her wedding after all.
ReplyDeleteThanks for visiting my blog. Have a good day to you.
Yes Sie. Lots of drinking indeed. It's one of the most basic thing in every celebration for them. No drink..no celebration. :))
ReplyDeleteYou are always welcome to pass by Sie. Thanks for visiting.
Been to such wedding many years back, while I was still in primary school. Everything was there, except for the tapai part. Can't remember how I felt back then, but it was the kind of wedding most couples had those years...the early 80s. Still very traditional.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing.
I was told that in the old days where it still done completely traditional, the bride is not actually placed on just a nearby house. She was actually has to wait at her own house (her parents house) no matter where it is. If she lived let say 10 miles from the groom's house (celebration house), then the grooms relatives has to fetch her there...walking! Coz..those day..they don't have car like today...or maybe no road for any vehicle yet.
ReplyDeleteWow.. A very unique custom.
ReplyDeleteEnjoying your post this time... Interesting!!
Thanks Zura. Glad you are enjoying it.
ReplyDeleteIt's always nice knowing the wedding custom of other races. This is a colorful wedding. Everyone is in a merry mood! It's fun time. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Balqis.
ReplyDelete