| My 'Belais Ampap'. |
This is not a recipe’s entry. Just a story of a very special meal for
me. Mother’s Day is coming and suddenly
I feel like sharing a story about one of my Mom’s recipe which I like so much.
Many people says Mom’s Cooking is the best. Are you one of those people? Unfortunately, I only could say Yes and No to
that. Just let me put it this way…my mom
has many talents and interest and usually she was very good at it, but I don’t
think cooking is one of it. I am not
saying she couldn’t cook. Of course she
could cook. But while other ‘typical’
housewife in her time pour out all their effort to improve their cooking and
other wifely duty, my mom did it only for necessity. She prefers spend her extra time doing her
other hobbies and passion like farming, music…yes you read it right…music, and
tending to her favorite pet, chicken. At
least that is how I see it. So was my
mom’s cooking is the best? No, for she cook
just a very simple and ordinary recipe. But
at the same time I still say Yes too, because there are a few simple recipe
that was delicious and so unique that I know I won’t find it anywhere else in
this world.
One of it is this ‘ampap’ fish. I google about this recipe and yes I found a
few recipe about this ‘ampap’ fish on the internet. But I notice, recipes I found on the internet
are much more complicated compared to my mom’s recipe. My mom’s recipe is so very simple that it
only needs 4-6 ingredients to make this ‘ampap’ fish. Those ingredients are salt, turmeric, ginger,
lemongrass, chili (optional) and tamarind juice. As for the fish, my mom always use ‘ikan
lumahan’ and there is one other fish that I don’t know what to call. In my
dialec, we call it ‘amos’ but I don’t know what it’s call in English or Malay. It’s
tastier but a bit hard to find. It’s so
simple right? But for me it is so tasty that I beg her to teach me how to cook
it. And once I know how to cook it, I
always do it because it is so easy too.
Just mix all the ingredients to the fish, arrange it on a pan and cook
it dry with low heat. That’s all!
You had me salivating already, Chris. I really love this too but it's too bad I still couldn't master cooking it yet. I think I have never even tried, always ask my mom to cook it. Well, a mental note here, will have to ask my mom how to cook it, the soonest possible. BTW, that picture...really made me hungry. Great cooking. You are a good cook.
ReplyDeletewoouu woouu...wait. I am not a good cook veey. As I said, cooking this is very simple and easy. Besides, I do this hundreds of time already. Have heard of practice make perfect? hehehe. Anyway thanks for the compliments.
ReplyDeleteNo matter how simple the dish is, when a mother cooks it, it will be so delicious! I love what my mother cooks even if she can't beat the chefs! She's the head chef at home only.
ReplyDeleteYup, I understand how nostalgic this recipe is. It brings back the sweet memory of your beloved mom.
Thank you for sharing, Christine. :)