Saturday, 13 August 2011

Buried Dreams.....A Story Behind A Favorite Book.

The World Of Biology - Solomon & Berg



Digging through my collection of books that still in a box (it’s been there since I move in to my husband house), looking for something to read…I found this big and heavy book. THE WORLD OF BIOLOGY by Solomon & Berg. It is a hardcover book with more than 1000 pages.  This is my favorite among all books that I have in my collection. 
 
I bought this book after being encouraged by my biology lecturer during my matriculation days more than a decade ago.  I was a Biology Matriculation student back then. I was straight away fell in love with this book and never get tired of it ( though most of the time it’s more on enjoying the color images only for my English was quite poor that time). This book is so beautiful with all the colorful images and the contents are so useful.  This book has a complete source of biology knowledge.  I admit this book helps me a lot to get through my matriculation with good grades.

For those of you who didn’t really know my education history, I was actually a science student during my high school days and had a desire to become a doctor.  Getting through the Science Matriculation of Biology is the first step to achieve my dreams. But though my matrix grades enable me to take a medical course, for some bad timing reason I had to switch my dreams a bit and take degree in Microbiology instead of Medical. I was a bit disappointed but eventually I accept it for a reason that it still has something to do with biology. I still use this book and a few more other new books to help me get through the rough and bittersweet journey of my university life.  But for some reasons that I still not manage to identify, I stumbled and fall in the middle of the journey.  I was terribly defeated and couldn’t get up.  In fact I was lost for quite sometimes.

When all tears had dried and bruises faded away,  I looked around for choices available for me.  Looking back, there is not much choices actually.  And in the end I decide to take a very different path.  Totally different from my first dreams.  A path that has nothing to do with biology and science.  And with that decision, I decide to bury my dreams and pack this book in a box.

Well…I couldn’t say that I am a very successful person now but things turn out that I do better in that new path that I reluctantly took.  In fact I do it with flying colors.  Doesn’t it strange? It’s been more than a decade now…and looking inside myself now, my interest on arts and poetry and all things that has nothing to do with science…I began to doubt the fact that I am a `science brain’ person. Perhaps I was wrong all along and didn’t realize it.

Whatever it is, finding this book among the collection..it’s always bring a smile to my face and a little bit of sadness in my heart for this is the only ‘momento’ I have to remind me of that part of life and dreams that once I have and has been long buried.

But...let bygone be bygone and toast to our present and future!!!


7 comments:

  1. hello Christine..same here and I can relate..I have loved science..biology oh yes I want to be a doctor before it was my dream but things just didn't happen that way..my parents suggested me to take business management instead huhuhu..so ok because I was an only child and an obedient one so I did follow them..after graduating I had a job and I was a bank teller for 5 years and I realized I did love my job but science has never left my interest..until now I am into reading national geographic magazines..

    have blessed night Christine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you Sie and thanks for sharing your experience. As for me, I study Multimedia and work as an IT Personnel for 6 years before following my husband in a new place. And along the way, I switch my interest to things related to arts and poetry as my escapade. As for my interest in Science, I think years of ignoring it in order to heal my broken past..makes me forget lots of thing already.

    Whatever it is...God knows better what is good for us don't you agree?

    Good night to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes I agree Christine..thank you for visiting me on my site..I appreciate it so much thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything happens for a reason...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The book holds sweet memories for you, Christine. It has the sentimental value. Even if one dream was buried, other dreams might be able to bring you to another level of life. We have choices in our life but sometimes, our choices might not be like what we want it to be. You're now in a different path but it's a blessing indeed when you could do better. Believe in the saying, there's a blessing in disguise. Wishing you a successful journey! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Balqis. Indeed that is how life's works. I learn much as I go with it and in return...I become wiser I guess. :)

    ReplyDelete