Wednesday, 10 July 2013

A Few Kind Words



This is a story about myself looking for a printing shop in such a short time, in a celebration season where all shops are eager for a coming holiday.

The picture above is a banner/ backdrop I design for my son’s birthday.  In fact, I never thought of preparing a banner like this when I plan his birthday celebration.  What I had in mind was maybe a simple hand craft banner with a simple word of Happy Birthday.  But, being a busy mom and lack of ideas, I was not able to make it.  Then my husband suggest that maybe we can just go to a printing shop and ask them to design and print for us.  That was 2 days before the holiday of Kaamatan Festival.  But when I look at the sample design of the printing shop, none of it suits my liking or my taste.  Then I ask the designer if they can print for us if we have our own design.  They ask me to send to them as soon as possible.  So, I try my best to design this banner and finish it as fast as I can.  I spend the whole evening designing and bring it to the printing shop the next morning.  To my frustration, the person in charge for banner printing is on leave…thus they cannot print it since no one else knows how to use that particular printer.

Then, I went to a few other printing shops in hope that they are willing to print it the very same day since the day after that was a holiday.  But most of the shops refuse to accept it.  Some are even show me an annoying face or annoying voice…annoying service.  Most of them are the front desk staff…and not the owner of the shop I guess.  Well, it is to be expected.  Most of them are in holiday mood already. But, as annoying as I am…I don’t blame them.  It’s my own fault for doing things in last minute.

To cut the story short, we find a printing shop that is willing to print my banner.  The shop owner is a nice old man, a retired teacher according to himself.  He said, the shop will be open during holiday too because, he has nothing to do at home as well.  I was so happy to hear that and I gave the worker in the shop my pen-drive where I save my design.  They told me that, they will try to print it and I can collect it either in the evening or at early morning the day after that.  They will call me when it is done.

I received a call from them in the morning the next day, but to my disappointment…they told me their printer got problem and they fail to print it.  They ask me to come and collect my deposit.  I would not lie, I feel a bit angry and feel so down that time.  It’s because, I spend lots of energy and time to design it and…for nothing??  It was so disappointing.  But, there is nothing I can do.  Shops are preparing to close for the long holiday and my husband and I were also packing to go back to Kota Kinabalu with our son.  The birthday celebration is 2 days away.  I am racing with time!!

In my frustration, I enter the shop to collect the deposit. While waiting for the front desk worker to prepare the money, the owner of the shop talk to me nicely.  He apologized for not able to print it. And all I can say was… “it’s okay”. And then the shop owner ask me, “are you really the one who design the banner???”  And I said … “Yes..why?”  Then the old man look at me with some kind of amaze impression…and said.. “You are good.  It’s a beautiful design.  I saw the way you arrange the layer in photoshop.  You are a good designer.”  I was speechless for a while.  I don’t know if I should cry or laugh in the situation like that.  I am in a frustrated mood, and the words of that old man was so spirit uplifting…and in my mind I was thinking, is the word of this old man true and sincere or simply trying to make me feel good??  And..in the end all I can say to that old man was… “well…thank you sir.”

The old man might speak the truth or it might just an empty praise.  Either way, it’s a good thing to say a few kind words to brightened ones day. I realized, after I left the printing shop that day, I was able to smile despite my frustration and I was able to turn all my worries about the banner and the birthday celebration in a positive way.  So what..if the birthday party has no banner?  Will it be less fun, less merrier, less perfect??  Of course not.  That banner is not everything.  I will have my family and my friends around and most importantly my son to celebrate.  Who cares about the banner or backdrop whatsoever!

As you know (from my previous entry), my son’s birthday celebration turn out quite successful with all family and friends around.  The food is tasty, the game is fun and ohhh…the backdrop with Happy 1st Birthday Artaenien Rhys wording is quite awesome. I didn’t know that the restaurant will provide it.  Kwang kwang kwang.  ‘Susah susah jer’.  Hahahaha.

So…have you said any kind words to someone today???  Perhaps, it time to practice it.  We will never know it might make someone’s cloudiest day brighter and sunnier!

Pen off for now.  See you in my next entry..

2 comments:

  1. Well...Someone who knows better planned the 'disappointment' ahead of you....to avoid unnecessary redundancy. Btw...I know the old man spoke the truth. I know you are a very good designer when you put your heart into it.

    You never what simple, kind words do to hearts...but always kindness multiplies...to more kindness and good feelings. Good one...dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the encouragement veey. And thank you for the kind words too. Yes veey, kind words multiplies good feelings so the other way round.

    ReplyDelete